Free Poems: Yellow

Free Poems

Yellow

Hunger conquers. Love considers.
As life concedes and pain bewilders.
Anguish strips us of our shielding.
Cold. Relentless. Ever-wielding.
Yet we let the anguish pass
Forget, and hide amongst the mass.
Even I who swore to never
Seek cold comfort, cruel forever;
Even I found yellow rest,
In the days upon my nest,
Long descended from the sky,
Angry when the night asked why.

It had been hated. Degraded.
Hardly heart-defying. Shaded.
Hard warmth. For a moment's pleasure.
Mindless. Careless. Lady's leisure.
And yet the strongest of the weak
Can break in sobs and fade grow meek.
None can tell you your belief.
None may soothe you in your grief.
None can tell you where to go.
None but you can ever know.
When you learn that, when you see,
It may break your heart in three.
Yet 'tis not bad to dance alone.
May your eyes remain your own.


Written by Anna Williams at age 17
in Prague, Czechoslovakia

http://freepoemsonline.blogspot.com
Free Poems

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wrote this at age 17?!? Wow. I love the passion of this poem and the strength of conviction in your words. The lines are short, sharp and emphatic. A little different than your others, IMO. I really *felt* your resolve. Great read!

janetleigh

Jodi Barone said...

I love the power, placement and words of the entire poem and especially of "May your eyes remain your own." A beautiful poem for everyone who has taken a yellow rest, everyone human.

jodi barone

Jodi Barone said...

Anna, it would be wonderful to exchange links. I also look forward to checking out your site about food as I am vegetarian.
jodi barone

Anna said...

Great, I put your link on.

My recipes site - yes. It is scheduled for an overhaul on a new template and a few articles have been written but still need to be added. I'm glad to hear about your interest! It is on my long online "To Do" list and I am hoping to have it fixed up within a few weeks ... :)

janetleigh said...

You wrote this at age 17?!? Wow. I love the passion of this poem and the strength of conviction in your words. The lines are short, sharp and emphatic. A little different than your others, IMO. I really *felt* your resolve. Great read!

writerwoman said...

It had been hated. Degraded.
Hardly heart-defying. Shaded.
Hard warmth. For a moment's pleasure.
Mindless. Careless. Lady's leisure.


That is my favorite part. It flows like a beating drum, hard and strong. Intense.

Ciara said...

HI! I absoutly love this poem. I am only 13 and i probably don't understand half of the metaphors you used but all of your poems are rythmic and beautiful, they glide over my tongue when i read them out loud. I LOVE TO Write and i really wanted to send you one of my poems but i dont want to have to go through the whole copywrite process... how do i send it so just you can read it???

Anna said...

Hi Ciara, thank you very much for your feedback! :) I just created a new blog which only contains my poetry, and it also has a contact form. So you can write to me from there:

http://annavera.com/poems/contact/

 

Blogger Templates | Design by Make Money Online | Privacy Policy | Related Websites and Blogs