War Poem: Cold Stony Sand

Cold Stony Sand

I stand here in a foreign land
Beneath my boots, cold stony sand.

A dessert country rough as stones,
with frosty nights that chill my bones,

And scorching days that blind my sight,
A burning hell until the night.

I came to keep the peace, I hear,
But all I do is live in fear.

Unseen eyes, they stare at me
Please send me home, please set me free.

Written by Anonymous Poet
For permission to publish, contact Anna Vera Williams
using the contact form on this blog



Free Poems
War Poems

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that should be "desert."

writerwoman said...

This is the best poem I've ever read of yours. Its filled to the brim with emotions and transports me to he feeling of that solider.

Anonymous said...

really seems to be quite a conundrum. and poses the question whether it is right to kill another, even when you are on the "good" side.

janetleigh said...

To anonymous: are there really any "good" sides? We are all capable of being "bad" in one way or another. :)

I think this poem really speaks for many soldiers, and it shows how universal the ugliness of war truly is; excellent poem! Thanks for sharing this anonymous poem with us, Anna! Hope all is well with you!

Anonymous said...

To Janet: I think you really captured the meaning of my poem to its fullest. And this makes the poetry worth writing. So thank you. It's the best acknowledgment once can receive as a poet.

A famous philosopher once wrote: "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it ill behooves any of us, to talk about the rest of us."

Thanks to Anna for letting me post my poems.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Speaking of "being bad" you are only seeing my "good" poetry. ;)

Wireless said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

 

Blogger Templates | Design by Make Money Online | Privacy Policy | Related Websites and Blogs