The Men of the Somme - By E Quarman

The Men of the Somme

I feel their names upon my lips.
I hear their cries inside my head.
I know that I will never forget,
What once happened here, so many years ago.
I shed a silent tear on my own,
But as I look around I can see that I'm not alone.

We will never comprehend,
What these men had to contend.
But it is clear, that for some time,
A small corner of hell appeared on Earth.

What is to become of the lost?
Are they now in the better place they longed & despaired for?
Whilst neglected by their God in their trenched,
Are they now in the care and safety of His?

Is there hope for Our race?
If we can think of this, for Anothers bitter taste.
To force such fear and scare,
Onto boys we knew would not bare.

I believe that I can say,
That if I should live through this one day,
'The Great War' take four,
Will be fought with Sticks and Stones.


- Written by: E Quarman

My poem can be used for free as long as the name of the author is included and the author is given credit.
My poem can be used for free as long as people first obtain my permission by writing to:
3 Wellen Rise
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
HP3 9PE

1 comment:

Francis said...

I am personally looking for a poem of this nature and I am glad I found one.

Thanks for the post

 

Blogger Templates | Design by Make Money Online | Privacy Policy | Related Websites and Blogs