Decades - By Anna McCarthy Hoffman

Decades

I had a Victorian youth
Ribbons and bows wallpaper
Fancy buttons, lace, teddy bears
Engraved silver boxes, British literature
Secret love letters and poetic notions
Sentimental, collecting everything with a memory
Treasures on display in my closet museum
Modest, moral, proper
Modelling lady-like behaviour with a
Pockets full of posies
My Twenties were Art Nouveau
Arts and Crafts and Style Liberte
I fell in love with Morris, Klimt, Mackintosh
The coffee houses of Vienna and Prague
Walls, desks, dressers
Empty spaces and canvases
Cluttered with objects d’ art
Filling me, my imagination
With the promise of a beautiful life
Inspiring artists, utopian bohemia
Now in my thirties
I am decidedly Deco
More elegant and restrained
Subtle, streamlined, bold
Grounded and professional
My forms follow function
Changes in values:
Simplicity, honesty, purity
Of character and expression
Evolving with the decades
Exploring and distilling
The movements within myself


- Written by: Anna McCarthy Hoffman

This poem can be used for free as long as the name of the author is included and the author is given credit.
If the poem is published online, please include a link to this post.

No comments:

 

Blogger Templates | Design by Make Money Online | Privacy Policy | Related Websites and Blogs