I am like a piece of glass - By Anna McCarthy Hoffman

I am like a piece of glass

I am like a piece of glass
Among the rocks in a riverbed
Taken downstream
And deposited onto
The seashore
I do not belong
Amoung the granites
The micas
The shales
Chipped off a cliff face
Split apart during a freeze
I was crafted
Blown, pressed, drawn
Worked in fire until
Shaped and tempered
To shine
A luminous crystalline
Created for a purpose
But instead
Found myself floating in a river
Caught up in competitive waters
Pulled down in the social undertow
Washed downstream
In the current of history
Tumbled and rounded
Ground in gravels
Jossled and pitted by
Crowds of crashing pebbles
Moshing together in salty tides
Seived back and forth
Until feeling  seasick
Pounded by storm swells
Broken and discarded fragments
Pitting my glossy face
Tempering my brilliance
Until my surface was matte
Frosted from years of confrontation
And disapointment
Indistinguishable from the
Sediments around me
Buried in an overpopulated
Shore of particles
Out of touch with our origin
But even without my transparency
You come along and recognize me
Acknowledge that I am different
Pick me up from among the aggregates
Put me in your pocket
And take me home.


- Written by: Anna McCarthy Hoffman

This poem can be used for free as long as the name of the author is included and the author is given credit.
If the poem is published online, please include a link to this post.

No comments:

 

Blogger Templates | Design by Make Money Online | Privacy Policy | Related Websites and Blogs