A CHILD’S SCREAM - By A. Bruce Cadenhead

A CHILD’S SCREAM

While walking through a lonely glen
Where moonlight strives midst swirling fog,
Where boughs and moss did limped hang,
And path was dampened, nearly bog,
A muffled sound came to my ears,
 Location-less in landscape drear,
From there or there or there did seem
Wherever came that child’s scream?

‘Twas not a scream with terror filled,
Nor had the keening shrill of pain,
But urgency it had in full.
I leap in search through starting rain.
Directionless I sought my goal.
The child’s scream burnt in my soul.
Again the child’s cry rang out
Was closer now without a doubt.

I pushed ahead with strengthened heart,
Through branch and bramble I did seek.
Ignoring paths, I forged anew
Cross barren rock, o’re dribbling creek.
No gully did I leave unlooked.
Dim shaded crannies were un-nooked.
The cry again, so very near.
Thank God, I thought, it must be here.

I pushed through moss entangled limbs,
Fearsomely they enshrouded me.
They wrapped and cossetted so tight,
I suddenly felt fear and fright.
I lashed and struggled to be free,
But dampened bonds held sturdily.
The child’s cry was close abreast
I fought to answer its behest.

The wet and clinging bonds of me
Like miracle, quick-changed their ilk.
Sweat-soaked and clinging they became
The tangled sheets of my bed’s silk.
The child’s lost and lonely cry
Persisted as I opened eye,
But ceased as I began to see,
The screaming child – it was me.


- Written by:  A. Bruce Cadenhead

This poem can be used for free as long as the name of the author is included and the author is given credit.
If the poem is published online, please include a link to this post.

1 comment:

Syed Mushtaq Hussain Sajjadi said...

thanks for sharing all these nice poems .....

 

Blogger Templates | Design by Make Money Online | Privacy Policy | Related Websites and Blogs